So, what were those few things which you considered really a luxury and wanted to own during your childhood? As a kid who grew up poor in the last sane generation of 80s and early 90s, I always wanted my parents to buy me a Hero Ranger bicycle and I also wanted to watch those DD serials on color TV sitting at home every Sunday. Sometimes, I dreamt that my dad drove me to school on scooter. Here are a few things which were considered luxury for many people like me who grew up in the middle class family in India in the 90s..
1. Owning a Heros Hansa or Atlas cycle was considered totally cool and not many kids could get it.
2. A color television set with a cable connection – probably the most luxurious item in every middle class Indian family.
3. Gas stove – your mom used to cook for you everyday in that hazardous kerosene stove before gas stove replaced it.
4. Bajaj Scooter – your dad dropped you to school in his scooter and you felt proud in front of your friends.
6. Birthday cake – Remember, how happy and excited you were when your parents bought lovely cake and invited your friends in your birthday party.
7. Cadbury chocolates – you could not afford more than one or two.